Twice Baked Squash
- 6 butternut squash (about 9 pounds total)
- ½ tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 9 Tbsp. sour cream
- 6 fresh chives cut into ⅛ inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp. fresh bread crumbs, lightly toasted
- Heat oven to 450°. Halve the squash lengthwise, remove seeds and fibers. Sprinkle halves with ¼ tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. pepper.
- Fill a roasting pan with ¼ inch water. Place squash in pan. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake until squash is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, 35 to 45 min.
- Remove from oven, transfer squash to a cool surface, and let cool enough to handle. Reduce oven temp. to 425°.
- Use a spoon to scoop the baked flesh out of each half into a large bowl, leaving a ¼ inch border around six of the halves so they will keep their shape.
- To the bowl, add the sour cream, paprika, chives, and remaining salt and pepper. Mix with a handheld electric mixer or potato masher until smooth and well combined.
- Fill the 6 squash halves with the mixture (discard the remaining 6 empty halves). Sprinkle the tops with toasted bread crumbs. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 30 min.