Serve over roasted pork or your favorite steak.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine or port
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound whole chestnuts, shelled (about 3 cups nut meat)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- MELT butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, and sautee 10 minutes or until tender and slightly browned. Add wine, and bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add broth and remaining ingredients; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 hour or until chestnuts are tender and liquid is almost absorbed.