Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (or shallots)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 4 ¼ lbs butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, diced
- ½ cup apple cider or juice
- light sour cream or plain yogurt
- chopped fresh chives
- Melt butter in large pot over medium high heat. Add onion (or shallots) and nutmeg; sauté until onion begins to brown, about 5 min. Add squash, broth, apple, and apple cider. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer uncovered until squash and apple are tender, about 30 to 45 min. Working in batches, puree soup in blender or food processor until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and fresh chives.
No comments yet.