Candied Sweet Potato Bake
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper
- butter, cut into small pieces
- light brown sugar, packed or pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup apple cider
- Thoroughly scrub the sweet potatoes. Place whole potatoes in a wide pot, and add water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Add ½ tablespoon of salt for every quart of water. Bring to a boil, then cover and boil until nearly tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Peel, then slice the potatoes.
- Layer the sliced sweet potatoes in baking dish, seasoning each layer with salt and black pepper to taste, 1 teaspoon butter, cut into small pieces, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of packed light brown sugar or pure maple syrup.
- Dot the final layer with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Pour apple cider (or water) over the dish.
- Cover and bake until well glazed and very soft, about 45 minutes.