Honey Cake with Caramelized Pears
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. honey
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp freshly grated lemon zest
CARAMELIZED PEARS – Makes about 2 cups
- 1 Tbl unsalted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ lbs pears, sliced
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10-inch springform pan. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside.
- Mix eggs and sugars on high speed with electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until pale and thick, about 3 min.
- Whisk together honey, milk, oil, and zest.
- With mixer on low, add honey mixture to egg mixture; mix until combined, about 1 min.
- Add half the flour mixture; mix until smooth. Mix in remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake until dark golden brown and a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 min.
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 min. Run a thin knife around edge of cake; carefully remove sides of pan. Transfer cake to a platter. Top with pears.
- CARAMELIZED PEARS:
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sugar; cook, stirring until almost dissolved, 1 to 2 min.
- Add pears; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and just golden, 12 to 20 min.
- Pour in honey; cook, stirring, until pears are coated and very soft, 3 to 5 min.
- Pour over cooled cake.