- 1 large orange
- 4 medium ripe quinces
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Thinly slice orange crosswise, then cut slices in half. Scrub and peel quinces. Quarter quince, using a large heavy knife and slowly push the blade down through the fruit. Cut out the cores.
- Arrange cut sides up in a deep 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Add a layer of orange slices. Continue layering to the top with orange slices. Add juice or cider. Cover and bake until the quinces test tender when pierced with a fork, 1 ½ to 3 hours.
- Remove from the oven and baste the top pieces with the juices. If the quinces are dry, cover with more juice or cider.
- Serve warm or chilled with the juices in the dish. Accompany with ice cream.