Blackberry Crumb Bars
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 6 Tblsp. unsalted butter melted + ½ cup room temperature, plus more for the pan
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided, plus more for pan
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 half pint blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line bottom with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides; butter and flour paper, tapping out excess.
- Make topping:
In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, brown sugar and ¼ teaspoon salt; add 1 cup flour, and mix with a fork until large moist crumbs form. Refrigerate topping until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ¾ cup flour, baking powder, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat room-temperature butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low; mix in flour mixture. Spread batter evenly in pan; sprinkle with blackberries, then chilled topping.
- Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Using paper overhang, lift cake onto a work surface; cut into 16 squares.