Leek & Potato Soup
- 1 lb. (4 to 5 medium size) leeks
- 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- Heavy pinch kosher salt
- 14 oz. (3 small) potatoes
- 1 qt. broth
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Clean leeks and remove dark green sections. Chop leeks into small pieces. Peel and dice potatoes. In a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leek are tender, approximately 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium – high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with a blender until smooth. Stir in the cream, buttermilk and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.