Mini Strawberry Rhubarb Crisps
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 1 pint Strawberries
- 1 pound rhubarb
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 cup sugar, divided
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. + 1 cup flour, divided
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 Tbsp. creme fraiche, + ⅓ cup (optional)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ c. whipping cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice strawberries lengthwise in half or thirds, depending on size. Place in bowl.
- Slice rhubarb into half inch pieces. Add to the strawberries
- Mix 2 Tbsp. sugar, brown sugar, and 6 Tbsp. flour. Then add to strawberries and rhubarb, tossing well to coat. Let set for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining flour, sugar baking powder and salt. Add the egg and mix until it resembles coarse meal.
- Strain the berry mixture into another bowl. Whisk 2 Tbsp creme fraiche into the fruit liquid. Fold the liquid mixture back into the fruit. Divide fruit mixture into six 8 ounce ramekins.
- Cover the fruit with the crisp topping, and drizzle melted butter over top.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake 55 minutes to 1 hour, until the topping is golden brown and crisp.
- Top with a dollop of home-made whipped cream by mixing the optional quantity of creme fraiche and whipping cream.