Strawberry Spiral Pie
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. quick cooking tapioca
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 quart Strawberries, hulled (about 4 cups)
- Biscuit dough, rolled to a 10x18 inch rectangle
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornstarch, tapioca, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Gently toss the berries in dry ingredients.
- Brush the biscuit dough with half of the melted butter.
- In a small bowl, stir jam to loosen the consistency. Spread the jam over the biscuit dough, leaving a half-inch border on one long side.
- Starting with the long side that has jam, roll the biscuit dough into a jelly roll and pinch the seam closed. Roll out the log so it has an even diameter and is 18 inches long.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 12 equally thick spiraled biscuits.
- Pour strawberry filling into a 9-inch pie plate and spread evenly. Gently arrange biscuits atop the strawberries, taking care to not press the biscuits down into the strawberries. Brush with remaining melted butter.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Lower the oven to 350 degrees, loosely covering the pie with foil and bake for 15 minutes more.
- Transfer to a rack to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
This recipe also lends itself to other berry and jam combinations. Blueberry with Peach Jam. Peach with Raspberry Jam.