Skillet or Upside-Down Cake
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- ¼ to ½ cup butter
- ½ to 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 cups fruit, sliced of halved (peaches, cherries, apples, etc.)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 to 1½ cups sugar (depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt in a heavy, oven-safe skillet the butter and brown sugar.
- Add pecans to skillet mixture and arrange prepared fruit.
- Sift together the cake flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, then add the melted butter and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Add the sugar to the egg whites 1 tablespoon at a time, then fold in the yolk mixture.
- Add the sifted flour mixture, ¼ cup at a time.
- Pour the batter over the fruit in the skillet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Immediately invert the cake onto a serving plate. Allow the skillet to remain over the cake briefly to let the brown sugar mixture coat the cake. Remove pan and serve.
- Sprinkle the cake with brandy or rum, if desired.