Rustic Apple Tart
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3 tart apples
- ⅓ cup granular sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 2 T. apple jelly or apricot jam
- flour for work surface
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry sheet (still folded) to a 8" x 14" rectangle.
- Trim edges with a sharp paring knife.
- Transfer to a baking sheet; place in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel, core, and slice apples ¼ inch thick.
- Toss in a large bowl with sugar.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 t. water.
- Brush over pastry, avoiding edges.
- Use a sharp paring knife to score a ¾ inch border around pastry, taking care to not cut all the way through.
- Place apples inside the border, and dot with butter.
- Bake until pastry is golden and apples are tender, 30 to 35 minutes.
- In the microwave or a small sauce pan, heat jelly with 1 T. water until melted.
- Brush apples with glaze.