Pickled Garlic Scapes
This recipe was shared with Mary Margaret by a customer at the 14th & U farmers market in Washington, DC.
- 1 lb. garlic scapes
- ¼ lb. pickling or canning salt
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. dill seeds
- 2¾ c. white vinegar
- 2¾ c. water
- Trim ends from scapes. Cut into 4-6 inch pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a pot combine salt, mustard seeds, dill seeds, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over medium head until salt is dissolved. Boil 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and keep pickling liquid hot.
- Pack cut scapes into hot jars, leaving room for liquid, leaving 1 inch headspace. Pour in hot pickling liquid leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace as necessary.
- Wipe rim and place hot lid disc on jar, screw band until fingertip tight.
- Place jars in canner and return to boil. Process for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove canner lid and let jars stand in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Transfer jars to rack or towel lined surface and let cool for 24 hours.
- Check lids and refrigerate any jars that are not sealed.