Asparagus Gruyere Tart
Author: Kuhn Orchards
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed as directed on package instructions
- flour, for work surface
- 5.5 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 ½ pounds medium or thick asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 16 x 10 inch rectangle. Place the pastry onto a baking sheet. With a sharp knife, lightly score the dough 1 inch from the edges to mark a rectangle. Using a fork, pierce the dough inside the markings at half-inch intervals. Bake until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the pastry shell from oven and sprinkle with cheese. Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart shell; arrange in a single layer over the cheese, alternating ends and tips. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until spears are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.